Home
About Us
 
Support the Center
Art & Science Grants
The Culture Club Blog
Exhibitions
 
Calendar of Events
 
Rent the Center
The Culture Club: This Freakin' Awesome Town

The Culture Club

Musings on arts, culture and more in Flagstaff, Arizona - from the staff of Flagstaff Cultural Partners

Monday, February 15, 2010

This Freakin' Awesome Town

Have I mentioned before that I love this town?

To recap an amazing weekend at the Coconino Center for the Arts...

This amazing folk duo performed for our 3rd Annual Valentine's Concert: Anne & Pete Sibley. Its not the kind of music I will listen to on CD or my computer, but live in person, it's the kind of thing I love. They were amazing, totally cute in their chemistry on stage (perfect for the day of love), and Anne is just a deep powerful singer.

For their final song (prior to coming back for an encore - they got a standing ovation from the capacity crowd), they led the entire audience in a sing a long. Usually, those things SUCK. You know, everyone singing out of cadence with each other, various levels of volume, and bad harmony. C'mon, you ask 200 people to sing together and you know it's gonna be awful. This time? Everyone sang together beautifully. It was incredible! Soft, smooth and just sounded awesome - 200 people singing quietly along with their song. At one point, I stopped singing just so I could hear the great sound of the audience over my own crappy voice. I had goosebumps for an hour after. That's Point #1 for why this town is freakin' awesome.

On Saturday at the Center, Tom Sheeley came and performed a concert for six straight hours, playing classical guitar to honor and support his daughter, Cory, who has been diagnosed with leukemia. There was a silent auction, speed photo shoot, tasty tamales, and LOTS of people. Flagstaff came in droves to support Cory and donate money to help with her treatment. I don't know how much they raised, but I know it was a good bit.

That'd be Point #2, obviously.

If you know Cory or Tom or the family, I encourage you help with a donation for Cory's cause: click here for her website. Or help if you don't know them. Either way, it's a worthy place to put some of your dollars.

I could go on, but that's what's fresh in my mind from a lively, powerful and passionate weekend at the Center. Have a great week, everyone!

Cheers,
JT

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Talk with us, post your comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home