Home
About Us
 
Support the Center
Art & Science Grants
The Culture Club Blog
Exhibitions
 
Calendar of Events
 
Rent the Center
The Culture Club: To be Beautiful and Free

The Culture Club

Musings on arts, culture and more in Flagstaff, Arizona - from the staff of Flagstaff Cultural Partners

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

To be Beautiful and Free


I walked into the gallery this morning, and I was in another world. Dark. Utterly fantastical. Whimsical. What's the opposite of a fairytale? That's where I was.

This exhibition makes me feel trapped in an unnatural cage. One that's too small for me to stand upright in. So I sit and let the unreal take over. Stockholm syndrome. I'm awestruck and fearful. I want to open the door and let these creatures out. Beauty isn't meant to be constrained by four walls.

Like a pretty bird that's been taken by an enemy. At first it cries- mistaken for a song. Then, its feathers moult, and it turns bitter and savage. A scary new creation. Metal bars can't hold it in. It breaks free and takes no prisoners.

That's how I feel here- I'm simultaneously the captor, the captivated, and the captive.

Suddenly, everything is alive and bursting from the cages.

Growing.

And rolling.

And flying away.

It's magic.

Isn't that what we all want, after all? To be beautiful and free?

If only it were as easy as growing wings.

*** 




Across the Divide opens with a free reception this Saturday, June 2 from 6:00-8:00pm at the Coconino Center for the Arts. The exhibition will be run through July 28. Click here for more info.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Talk with us, post your comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home